Project for sustainable Cocoa programme in West Africa
Solidaridad West Africa is a Ghana-based, not-for-profit organization that supports the sustainable development of farmers and production systems in West Africa, through the enhancement of value chains of fresh and processed agricultural commodities. Our activities are focused on the fresh fruit, oil palm, cotton and cocoa sectors. As the West African representative within Solidaridad’s international network, we are part of a growing global movement advocating and supporting sustainable and responsible production and trade. We are seeking suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below in its regional office in Accra, Ghana.
Position: Regional Cocoa Programme Manager, West Africa
Location: Accra Office, Ghana
Reports to the Managing Director
The Cocoa programme is principally focused on advocating and establishing voluntary standards in West Africa, and supporting groups of cocoa farmers to achieve this voluntary standard. Therefore, the Regional Cocoa Programme Manager post is an opportunity to play a key role in the development of voluntary standards for sustainable cocoa and, using this standard as a tool, to support cocoa farmers to improve their incomes and livelihoods.
The Regional Cocoa Programme Manager will be responsible for the successful delivery of the programme activities in the region by managing a team of country representatives. S/he will also participate in the management team of Solidaridad and represent Solidaridad at international forums. S/he will be accountable to the General Manager and will have close contact with the cocoa programme team in The Netherlands.
The post will be based in the office in Accra, Ghana, but the employee should expect to travel regularly to monitor the delivery of the programmes across West Africa. S/he will become part of the international expertise network of Solidaridad with offices in Europe, Central & South America, China, South & South East Asia, and Southern & East Africa.
- Leading the regional cocoa programme team, and line-managing the team members;
- Collaborating on the development of annual national work plans with country representatives, Solidaridad and other stakeholders;
- Overseeing all the program activities and budget expenditure in the region and supervising the execution of each of the national work plans within West Africa;
- Supporting country representatives to engage with national institutions and to identify opportunities in their countries for innovative projects
- Building a regional network with producer group representatives, traders, NGOs and governments;
- Representing Solidaridad at relevant regional and international forums;
- Creating links between producer organisations, exporters and market opportunities in Europe and the US;
- Seeking additional funding
- Participating in the overall development of the organization through active participation in the Management Team and contribution to advocacy efforts;
- Building capacity of the cocoa programme staff to deliver professional services;
- Collaborating with WAFF colleagues to develop new sustainability programmes.
Competence and Experience
- Educated to Master degree level
- At least 5 years professional experience, in both NGO and business sectors
- Practical experience in managing (donor-funded) programmes in the developing country context, with evidence of creating pragmatic solutions to problems as they arise
- Experience of managing teams in a multi-cultural environment, Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to develop a broad regional network in the cocoa sector and to coach/mentor others, analytical and strategic-thinking skills is also required
- Capacity to develop coherent programme plans and prepare funding bids
- Fluent English and French speaking and writing skills
- Financially competent (able to manage project budgets)
- Good communication skills and prepared to represent Solidaridad at all levels
- Pro-active nature with the patience to pay attention to detail
- Management experience in cocoa production and/or trading
- Strong understanding of the social and environmental challenges in cocoa production and trade
- Capable of drafting high-quality written reports
- Sensitivity of inter-cultural issues in the context of West Africa
- Experience of smallholder group certification of agricultural products
Mode of application
*PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THAT YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THE REGIONAL COCOA PROGRAMME MANAGER POSITION.