The Human Rights Scholarship was established by the University of Melbourne and awarded to students who are undertaking research in the field of human rights.
The University usually awards two scholarships per year.
The duration of this scholarship is up to two years for students undertaking a Master by research degree and up to three years, with a possible six month extension, for students undertaking a Doctorate by research degree.
The following benefits apply:
- Fortnightly living allowance, including limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave
- Relocation grant for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia
For further information, see Graduate Research Scholarship benefits.
Note that the Human Rights Scholarship does not cover tuition fees for international students.
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a Master or Doctorate by research degree at the University of Melbourne, or
- be currently enrolled in a research degree at the University of Melbourne and have at least 12 months (full-time equivalent) of candidature remaining,
- intend to undertake graduate research in the human rights field and be committed to the peaceful advancement of respect for human rights that extends beyond academic studies (such as voluntary work and/or work experience);
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought, and
- intend to study as a full-time student unless there are compassionate or compelling circumstances that prevent you from undertaking full-time study
- not have previously received a Human Rights Scholarship
You must submit an online application for both the:
- Graduate Research Scholarships group
- Human Rights Scholarship
Eligible applicants are selected on the basis of the area of study in and level of commitment to human rights, academic merit and strength of supporting documentation.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email in February. Reasons for non-selection and feedback on individual applications will not be provided.
For more detailed information, please refer to the Graduate Research Scholarships Terms and Conditions
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Opens: 1 July 2017
Closes: 31 October 2017